Increased Estradiol Levels Effect on Leptin Expression in Midluteal Endometrial Tissue of Macaca Nemestrina (Southern Pig-Tailed Macaques)
Objective: To measure the effect of serum estradiol (E2) levels on leptin expression in Macaca nemestrina (southern pig-tailed macaque) endometrial tissue.
Materials and methods: This study used paraffin-embedded midluteal phase endometrial tissue blocks of Macaca nemestrina from previous study. Included subjects were 15 female macaques of reproductive age (8-10 years) with a previous history of producing offspring, which were divided into four groups: groups administered with 30 IU, 50 IU, and 70 IU r-FSH (intervention group), and no r-FSH (control group). The stimulation was done following GnRH agonist long protocol. Staining was done using immunohistochemistry. Leptin expression was measured using immunohistochemistry (IHC) Profiler plugin of ImageJ software and counted semi-quantitatively as Histological Score (Hscore).
Results: Correlation between E2 concentration to stromal leptin expression was observed (p=0.043).
Conclusion: Serum estradiol concentration is found to be correlated with leptin expression in Macaca nemestrina, suggesting a mechanism of decreasing endometrial receptivity among women undergoing controlled ovarian hyperstimulation.
2. Dodson WC, Haney AF. Controlled ovarian hyperstimulation and intrauterine insemination for treatment of infertility. Fertil Steril 1991; 55: 457–67.
3. Joo BS, Park SH, An BM, Kim KS, Moon SE, Moon HS. Serum estradiol levels during controlled ovarian hyperstimulation influence the pregnancy outcome of in vitro fertilization in a concentration-dependent manner. Fertil Steril 2010; 93: 442–6.
4. Catteau A, Caillon H, Barrière P, Denis MG, Masson D, Fréour T. Leptin and its potential interest in assisted reproduction cycles. Hum Reprod Update 2016; 22: 320-41.
5. Lin X-H, Liu M-E, Xu H-Y, Chen X-J, Wang H, Tian S, et al. Leptin down-regulates γ-ENaC expression: a novel mechanism involved in low endometrial receptivity. Fertil Steril 2015; 103: 228-235.e3.
6. Chakrabarti J, Chatterjee R, Goswami S, Chakravarty B, Kabir SN. Overt leptin response to controlled ovarian hyperstimulation negatively correlates with pregnancy outcome in in vitro fertilization-embryo transfer cycle. J Hum Reprod Sci 2012; 5: 194–9.
7. Hestiantoro A, Wiweko B, Purwaka RH. Basal follicle stimulating hormone and leptin on the day of hCG administration predict successful fertilization in in vitro fertilization. Med J Indones 2016; 25: 39.
8. Blakley GB, Beamer TW, Dukelow WR. Characteristics of the menstrual cycle in nonhuman primates. IV. Timed mating in Macaca nemestrina. Lab Anim 1981; 15: 351–3.
9. Sahar N, Mujihartini N, Pudjianto DA, Pradhita AD, Thu R, Kusmardi K. Increased progesterone on the day of administration of hCG in controlled ovarian hyperstimulation affects the expression of HOXA10 in primates’ endometrial receptivity. Biomedicines 2019; 7: 1–8.
10. Chou SH, Mantzoros C. 20 Years of Leptin: Role of leptin in human reproductive disorders. J Endocrinol 2014; 223: T49-62.
11. Tanaka T, Utsunomiya T, Bai T, Nakajima S, Umesaki N. Leptin inhibits decidualization and enhances cell viability of normal human endometrial stromal cells. Int J Mol Med 2003; 12: 95–8.
12. Kaplanoğlu İ, Kaplanoğlu GT, Çinar Ö. Is leptin receptor expression triggered in the case of embryo transfer to endometrium coculture? Turk J Med Sci 2019; 49: 1014–8.
13. Geber S, Brandão AHF, Sampaio M. Effects of estradiol and FSH on leptin levels in women with suppressed pituitary. Reprod Biol Endocrinol 2012; 10: 45.
14. Özler A, Kuşçu NK, Temiz P, Kandiloğlu AR, Koyuncu FM. Leptin expression in proliferative, secretory and hyperplastic endometrial tissues. J Turk Ger Gynecol Assoc 2011; 12: 157–61.
15. Hill MJ, Uyehara CFT, Hashiro GM, Frattarelli JL. The utility of serum leptin and follicular fluid leptin, estradiol, and progesterone levels during an in vitro fertilization cycle. J Assist Reprod Genet 2007; 24: 183-8.
16. Méndez-López L, Zavala-Pompa A, Fuentes-Vera M, Pacheco-Calleros J, Escobar-Moreno A, Cortés-Gutiérrez E, et al. Quantification of leptin receptor expression in endometrial tissue throughout the human menstrual cycle. Gen Endocrinol 2015; 11: 147–54.
|Issue||Vol 14, No 4 (December 2020)|
|In Vitro Fertilization Controlled Ovarian Hyperstimulation Leptin Endometrial Receptivity|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|