Predictors of Adolescents' Pornography: Level of Sexual Behavior and Family Environment
Objective: To investigate on relationship among family environment, pornography and sexual behavior of adolescents. Pornography may start from early youth along with starting of sexual behavior. Therefore it is important that the role of family factors in pornography be studied.
Materials and methods: The sample includes 362 students who were chosen by Proportional Cluster method from the first grade of High School (14 and 15 years old). The research instruments were Schaefer’s Family Environment Scales (FES), a researcher made Sexual Behaviors Scale (SBS), and Pornography Scale (PS).
Results: The results indicate that there is a positive significant relationship between sexual Behaviors Scale (SBS) and pornography and there is a positive significant relationship between levels of coldness in family relationship and adolescents’ Freedom. Also the result of stepwise regression shows, in the first step, level of sexual behavior is the strongest variable that predicts .42 of variance of adolescent's pornography. In the second step, Coldness in family relationship determines .05 of variances of pornography of adolescents. Gender differentiates shows that boys' pornography is more than for girls.
Conclusion: Therefore coldness in family relationship is related with pornography and sexual behavior of adolescents.
2. L'Engle KL, Brown JD, Kenneavy K. The mass media are an important context for
3. adolescents' sexual behavior. J Adolesc Health 2006;38: 186-92.
4. Report of the National Youth Organization. A study on cultural - value changes and "pathological" study.Tehran: Office for National Youth Organization Studies 2005b. Available at:http://msy.gov.ir/err_pages/page403.html
5. Villani VS,Olson CK,Jellinek MS. Media literacy for clinicians and parents.
6. Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am 2005; 14: 523-53.
7. Livingstone S.Strategies of parental regulation in the media-rich home. Computers in Human Behavior 2007;23: 920-41.
8. Tourkamandy H.Efficient Relationship among Family Members. 2009. Available at: http://www.zibaweb.com/family%201.htm
9. Sharifiye Daramady P. Relationship between Family Function and Mental Health of High School Students in Bokan. Postgraduate Dissertation. Birjand: University of Birjand, 2006.
10. Skilling TA, Doiron JM, Seto MC. Exploring differences in youth and parent reports of antisociality among adolescent sexual and nonsexual offenders. Psychol Assess 2011; 23: 153-63.
11. Royer HR, Keller ML, Heidrich SM. Young adolescents’ perceptions of romantic relationships and sexual activity. Sex Education 2009; 9: 395-408.
12. Yaqub Khani Ghiasvandi M. Relationship between Family Environment and Academic Achievement. Dissertation of postgraduate. Shiraz: University of Shiraz, 1993.
13. Braun-Courville DK, Rojas M. Exposure to sexally explicit Web sites and adolescent sexual attitudes and behaviors. J Adolesc Health 2009; 45: 156-62.
14.Brown JD, Witherspoon EM. The mass media and American adolescents' health. J Adolesc Health 2002;31: 153-70.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.