Translation, Linguistic Validation, and Cultural Adaptation of the Bladder Cancer Index (BCI) Questionnaire Into the Persian (Farsi) Language and Comparing it With WHO Quality of Life Questionnaire: An Observational Study
Objective: Whether ileal conduit diversion (ICD) or orthotopic neobladder (ONB) urinary diversion provides better quality of life (QoL) is still under debate. The Bladder Cancer Index (BCI) is a specific tool for bladder cancer (BCa) patients, providing reliable results in previous studies. A validated Farsi version of the BCI concerning cultural aspects could help Farsi-speaking clinicians gain more reliable feedback on QoL following urinary diversion.
Materials and methods: Based on WHO suggestions, we translated the BCI questionnaire into the Persian language. Then, we performed a cross-sectional study on BCa patients who underwent ICD or ONB urinary diversion. We compared their QoL via BCI and WHO questionnaires. Chi-square and independent t-tests were used where appropriate.
Results: The content validity ratio and the content validity indexes were 1 and 0.8-1.0, respectively. Of 57 participants, six patients (10.5%) were women. The ICD was performed for 38 (66.7%) and ONB diversion for 19 (33.3) participants. The mean age of ICD and ONB was 68.71 ± 7.40 and 64.28 ± 8.34 years, respectively (p-value: 0.055). In all sub-domains of BCI, except bowel habits, the mean scores were higher in the ICD group. A significant difference between ICD and ONB groups was found regarding urinary function (p-value<0.001). There was no significant difference between ICD and ONB groups in none of the domains of the WHO questionnaire.
Conclusion: The QoL of ICD and ONB patients did not differ significantly. Even ICD may be superior in ritual purification, while the psychological status of ONB patients was better.
2. AmericanCancerSociety. Key Statistics for Bladder Cancer. 12-Jan-2022; https://www.cancer.org/cancer/bladder-cancer/about/key-statistics.html. Accessed 23-Feb, 2022.
3. TheGlobalCancerObservatory. Iran, Islamic Republic of. March-2021; https://gco.iarc.fr/today/data/factsheets/populations/364-iran-islamic-republic-of-fact-sheets.pdf. Accessed
4. Crozier J, Hennessey D, Sengupta S, Bolton D, Lawrentschuk N. A Systematic Review of Ileal Conduit and Neobladder Outcomes in Primary Bladder Cancer. Urology. 2016;96:74-79.
5. Shi H, Yu H, Bellmunt J, Leow JJ, Chen X, Guo C, et al. Comparison of health-related quality of life (HRQoL) between ileal conduit diversion and orthotopic neobladder based on validated questionnaires: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Qual Life Res. 2018;27(11):2759-2775.
6. Nejat S, Montazeri A, Holakouie Naieni K, Mohammad K, Majdzadeh S. The World Health Organization quality of Life (WHOQOL-BREF) questionnaire: Translation and validation study of the Iranian version. Journal of school of public health and institute of public health research. 2006; 4 (4) :1-12.
7. Gilbert SM, Wood DP, Dunn RL, Weizer AZ, Lee CT, Montie JE, Wei JT. Measuring health-related quality of life outcomes in bladder cancer patients using the Bladder Cancer Index (BCI). Cancer. 2007;109(9):1756-62.
8. Ziouziou I, Touzani MA, Karmouni T, El Khader K, Koutani A, Andaloussi AA. Arabic translation and linguistic validation of the questionnaire Bladder Cancer Index,African Journal of Urology.2018; 24(2), 104-107.
9. Gaunez N, Larré S, Pirès C, Doré B, Wei J, Pfister C,
et al. Traduction en langue française et validation linguistique de l'auto-questionnaire Bladder Cancer Index évaluant la qualité de vie dans les tumeurs de vessie [French translation and linguistic validation of the questionnaire Bladder Cancer Index (BCI)]. Prog Urol. 2010;22(6):350-3. French.
10. Hevér NV, Péntek M, Balló A, Gulácsi L, Baji P, Brodszky V, Damásdi M, Bognár Z, Tóth G, Buzogány I, Szántó Á. Health related quality of life in patients with bladder cancer: a cross-sectional survey and validation study of the Hungarian version of the Bladder Cancer Index. Pathol Oncol Res. 2015;21(3):619-27.
11. Osawa T, Wei JT, Abe T, Honda M, Rew K, Dunn R, et al. Comparison of Health-Related Quality of Life Between Japanese and American Patients with Bladder Cancer as Measured by a Newly Developed Japanese Version of the Bladder Cancer Index. Bladder Cancer. 2021;7:61-9.
12. [No authorlisted]. World Health Organization. Process of translation and adaptation of instruments. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2016.
13. Hautmann RE, Egghart G, Frohneberg D, Miller K. The ileal neobladder. J Urol. 1988;139(1):39-42.
14. Schmidt S, Francés A, Lorente Garin JA, Juanpere N, Lloreta Trull J, Bonfill X, Martinez-Zapata MJ, Morales Suarez-Varela M, de la Cruz J, Emparanza JI, Sánchez MJ, Zamora J, Pijoan JI, Alonso J, Ferrer M. Quality of life in patients with non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer: one-year results of a multicentre prospective cohort study. Urol Oncol. 2015;33(1):19.e7-19.e15.
15. Osawa T, Wei JT, Abe T, Honda M, Yamada S, Furumido J, et al. Health-related quality of life in Japanese patients with bladder cancer measured by a newly developed Japanese version of the Bladder Cancer Index. Int J Clin Oncol. 2020 Dec;25(12):2090-2098.
16. Gilbert SM, Dunn RL, Hollenbeck BK, Montie JE, Lee CT, Wood DP, Wei JT. Development and validation of the Bladder Cancer Index: a comprehensive, disease specific measure of health related quality of life in patients with localized bladder cancer. J Urol. 2010;183(5):1764-9.
17. Ali AS, Hayes MC, Birch B, Dudderidge T, Somani BK. Health related quality of life (HRQoL) after cystectomy: comparison between orthotopic neobladder and ileal conduit diversion. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2015;41(3):295-9.
18. Neuzillet Y, Rouprêt M. Qualité de vie des patients porteurs de dérivation urinaire. Progrès en Urologie. 2017;27(14):845-50.
19. Goldberg H, Baniel J, Mano R, Rotlevy G, Kedar D, Yossepowitch O. Orthotopic neobladder vs. ileal conduit urinary diversion: A long-term quality-of-life comparison. Urol Oncol. 2016;34(3):121.e1-7.
|Issue||Vol 17, No 3 (September 2023)|
|Bladder Cancer Index Bladder Cancer Questionnaire Quality of Life Persian Bladder Neoplasms|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|