Pubic Candida Folliculitis: A Case Report in a Patient With Recurrent Vaginal Candidiasis
Objective: Folliculitis is a skin infection and inflammation that develops in the hair follicles. While most cases of folliculitis are caused by bacterial infections, here is a case of folliculitis caused by the Candida fungi in an immunocompetent host.
Case report: A 23-year-old non-diabetic immunocompetent female with recurrent vaginal candidiasis developed clusters of erythematous, pruritic papules in the pubic area. Upon evaluation, the clusters were determined to be folliculitis. Risk factors for folliculitis included shaving of the pubic area, hot tub use, and wearing of tight, restrictive clothing. Cultures and skin samples of the folliculitis demonstrated Candida albicans. The patient was subsequently and successfully treated with clotrimazole solution and cream. There was no recurrence of the folliculitis upon her 3-month follow-up appointment.
Conclusion: Candida folliculitis is a rare condition in non-diabetic patients. The patient’s history, risk factors and immune status assessment, and physical examination with proper diagnostic testing, are crucial steps in attaining the correct diagnosis.
2. Jackson JD. Infectious folliculitis. UpToDate Retrieved from www uptodate com/contents/infectious-folliculitis. 2017.
3. Bennett JE, Dolin R, Blaser MJ. Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's principles and practice of infectious diseases E-book: Elsevier Health Sciences; 2019.
4. Seebacher C, Abeck D, Brasch J, Effendy I, Ginter-Hanselmayer G, Haake N, et al. Candidose der Haut [Candidiasis of the skin]. J Dtsch Dermatol Ges. 2006;4:591-6. German.
5. Saunte DML, Gaitanis G, Hay RJ. Malassezia-Associated Skin Diseases, the Use of Diagnostics and Treatment. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2020 Mar 20;10:112.
6. Mansur AT, Aydingoz IE, Artunkal S. Facial Candida folliculitis: possible role of sexual contact. Mycoses. 2012 Mar;55(2):e20-2.
7. Jalalat S, Hunter L, Yamazaki M, Head E, Kelly B. An outbreak of Candida albicans folliculitis masquerading as Malassezia folliculitis in a prison population. J Correct Health Care. 2014 Apr;20(2):154-62.
8. Leclerc G, Weber M, Contet-Audonneau N, Beurey J. Candida folliculitis in heroin addicts. International Journal of Dermatology. 1986 ;25(2):100-102.
|Issue||Vol 17, No 1 (March 2023)|
|Fungi Candida Folliculitis Inflammation Exanthema|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|