Effects of Aromatherapy With Citrus Aurantium Lavender on Sexual Function of Postmenopausal Women: A Randomized Controlled Trial
Objective: The purpose of this study was to explore the effectiveness of aromatherapy with Citrus aurantium Lavender on the sexual function of postmenopausal women.
Materials and methods: A randomized controlled trial with single-blind design was conducted on eighty postmenopausal women in Ahvaz, Iran from January to December 2019. The women were randomly assigned to the Citrus aurantium group (n=40) and placebo group (n=40). The intervention group received two drops of Citrus aurantium essential oil twice a day, for four consecutive days a week, for four weeks as inhalation. Similarly, placebo was received by the control group.
Results: The results of this study revealed that in the intervention group, the FSFI total score and all of its dimensions were significantly improved compared to the control group.
Conclusion: Aromatherapy using Citrus aurantium can be used as an alternative or complementary method for improvement of sexual function in postmenopausal women. It is recommended that the postmenopausal women suffering from sexual dysfunction be informed on the aromatherapy by Citrus aurantium essential oil.
2. Comhaire FH, Depypere HT. Hormones, herbal preparations and nutriceuticals for a better life after the menopause: part I. Climacteric 2015; 18: 358-63.
3. Geller SE, Studee L. Contemporary alternatives to plant estrogens for menopause. Maturitas. 2006;55 Suppl 1: S3-13.
4. Collins Fantasia H, Sutherland MA. Hormone therapy for the management of menopause symptoms. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs 2014; 43: 226-35; quiz E18-9.
5. Blumel JE, Castelo-Branco C, Binfa L, Gramegna G, Tacla X, Aracena B, et al. Quality of life after the menopause: a population study. Maturitas 2000; 34: 17-23.
6. Brizendine L. Managing menopause – related depression and low Libido, OBG Manage 2004; 16: 29-42.
7. Beygi M, Fahami F, Hasan zahraei R, Arman S, Associative factors to sexual dysfunction in menopause women. Iran J Nurs Midwifery Res 2008; 13: 32-5.
8. Pinkerton JV, Bushmakin AG, Komm BS, Abraham L. Relationship between changes in vulvar-vaginal atrophy and changes in sexual functioning, Maturitas 2017; 100: 57-63.
9. Kim MY, Choi SD, Ryu A. Is complementary and alternative therapy effective for women in the climacteric period? J Menopausal Med 2015; 21: 28-35.
10. Gooneratne NS. Complementary and alternative medicine for sleep disturbances in older adults. Clin Geriatr Med 2008; 24: 121-38, viii.
11. Taavoni S, Darsareh F, Joolaee S, Haghani H. The effect of aromatherapy massage on the psychological symptoms of postmenopausal Iranian women. Complement Ther Med 2013; 21: 158-63.
12. Buckle J. Clinical aromatherapy, Clinical Aromatherapy: Essential Oils in Healthcare, Second Edition, Philadelphia, Elsevier Health Science 2003.
13. Bagetta G, Morrone LA, Rombolà L, Amantea D, Russo R, Berliocchi L, et al. Neuropharmacology of the essential oil of bergamot. Fitoterapia 2010; 81: 453-61.
14. Abbasnejad M, Keramat B, ESmaili Mahani M, Rezaeezade-Roukerd M. Effect of Hydro-Methanolic Extract of Sour Orange Flowers, Citrus Aurantium, on Pentylen tetrazole Induced Seizure in Male Rats, Journal of Babol University of Medical Sciences 2012;14: 20-8.
15. Leite MP, Fassin Jr J, Baziloni EMF, Almeida RN , Mattei R, Leite JR. Behavioral effects of essential oil of Citrus aurantium L. inhalation in rats, Rev Bras Farmacog 2008; 18: 661-6.
16. Nikjou R, Kazemzadeh R, Asadzadeh F, Fathi R, Mostafazadeh F. The Effect of Lavender Aromatherapy on the Symptoms of Menopause. J Natl Med Assoc 2018; 110: 265-9.
17. Malakouti J, Farshbaf Khalili A, Asghari Jafarabadi M, Jabbari F. Effect of combined inhaler aromatherapy on sexual function of menopause women, The Iranian Journal of obestetrics, Gynecology and Infertility 2016; 19: 9-15.
18. Bakhtiari S, Paki S, Khalili A, Baradaranfard F, Mosleh S, Jokar M. Effect of lavender aromatherapy through inhalation on quality of life among postmenopausal women covered by a governmental health center in Isfahan, Iran: A single-blind clinical trial. Complement Ther Clin Pract 2019; 34: 46-50.
19. Salehi-Pourmehr H, Ostadrahimi A, Ebrahimpour-Mirzarezaei M, Farshbaf-Khalili A.Does aromatherapy with lavender affects physical and psychological symptoms of menopausal women? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice 2020; 39: 101150.
20. Malakoti J, Zamanzadeh V, Maleki A, Farshbaf Khalili A. Sexual function in breastfeeding women in family health centers of tabriz, iran, 2012. J Caring Sci 2013; 2: 141-6.
21. Choi SY, Kang P, Lee HS, Seol GH. Effects of Inhalation of Essential Oil of Citrus aurantium L. var. amara on Menopausal Symptoms, Stress, and Estrogen in Postmenopausal Women: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2014; 2014: 796518.
22. Rosen R, Brown C, Heiman J, Leiblum S, Meston C, Shabsigh R, Ferguson D, D'Agostino R Jr. The Female Sexual Function Index (FSFI): a multidimensional self-report instrument for the assessment of female sexual function. J Sex Marital Ther 2000; 26: 191-208.
23. Wiegel M, Meston C, Rosen R. The female sexual function index (FSFI): cross-validation and development of clinical cutoff scores. J Sex Marital Ther 2005; 31: 1-20.
24. Darsareh F, Taavoni S, Joolaee S, Haghani H. Effect of aromatherapy massage on menopausal symptoms: a randomized placebo-controlled clinical trial. Menopause 2012; 19: 995-9.
25. Samadi Z, Jannati Y, Hamidia A, Mohammdpour RA, Hesamzadeh A.The effect of aromatherapy with lavender essential oil on sleep quality in patients with major depression. Journal of Nursing and Midwifery Science 2021;8 : 67-73.
26. de Moraes Pultrini A, Galindo LA, Costa M. Effects of the essential oil from Citrus aurantium L. in experimental anxiety models in mice. Life Sciences 2006; 78: 1720-5.
27. Sköld M., Hagvall L, Karlberg AT, Autoxidation of linalyl acetate, the main component of lavender oil, creates potent contact allergens. Contact Dermatitis 2008; 58: 9-14.
28. Oliveira C, Nobre PJ. The role of trait-affect, depression, and anxiety in women with sexual dysfunction: a pilot study. J Sex Marital Ther 2013; 39: 436-52.
29. Tiran D, Chummun H. Complementary therapies to reduce physiological stress in pregnancy. Complement Ther Nurs Midwifery 2004; 10: 162-7.
30. Hur MH, Yang YS, Lee MS. Aromatherapy massage affects menopausal symptoms in korean climacteric women: a pilot-controlled clinical trial. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2008; 5: 325-8.
|Issue||Vol 16, No 2 (June 2022)|
|Aromatherapy Citrus Sexual Behavior Postmenopause|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|