Complementary and Alternative Medicine Usage and Its Determinant Factors Among Infertile Men in Iran
Objective: This study aimed to assess the use of some Complementary and Alternative Medicine
(CAM) techniques in infertile men.
Materials and methods: This cross-sectional study was conducted on 102 infertile men referred to the only center of infertility in Kerman, Iran using convenience sampling. Data were collected using a
two-part researcher-made questionnaire and analyzed using descriptive and analytical statistics (chi-square test and logistic regression) with SPSS 16.
Results: According to the present study, 72.5% of subjects used at least one of the CAM methods in the past year. Among them 28.4% of the subjects have used one CAM technique, 13.7% have used two techniques, 8.8% have used three techniques, 9.8% have used four techniques, and 11.8% have used more than four techniques since the last year. None of the socio-demographic characteristics had significant association with being the user of complementary and alternative medicines.
Conclusion: The results showed that almost three quarters of the infertile men used CAM indicating a high prevalence of CAM usage among them.
2. Lobo RA, Gershenson DM, Lentz GM, Valea FA. Comprehensive Gynecology E-Book. Elsevier Health Sciences; 7 Th Edition 2016.
3. Datta J, Palmer MJ, Tanton C,Gibson L J,Jones KG,Macdowall W, et al. Prevalence of infertility and help seeking among 15 000 women and men. Hum Reprod 2016; 31: 2108-18.
4. Agharezaee N, Hashemi M, Shahani M, Gilany K. Male Infertility, Precision Medicine and Systems Proteomics. J Reprod Infertil 2018; 19: 185-192.
5. Tournaye HJ, Cohlen BJ. Management of male-factor infertility. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 2012; 26: 769-75.
6. Akhondi MM, Ranjbar F, Shirzad M, Ardakani ZB, Kamali K, Mohammad K. Practical difficulties in estimating the prevalence of primary infertility in Iran. Int J Fertil Steril 2019; 13: 113-7.
7. O'Flynn O'Brien KL, Varghese AC, Agarwal A. The genetic causes of male factor infertility: a review. Fertil Steril 2010; 93: 1-12.
8. Bhasin S, De Kretser DM, Baker HW. Clinical review 64: Pathophysiology and natural history of male infertility. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1994; 79: 1525-9.
9. Bayasgalan G, Naranbat D, Radnaabazar J, Lhagvasuren T, Rowe PJ. Male infertility: risk factors in Mongolian men. Asian J Androl 2004; 6: 305-11.
10. Hollywood L. What factors influence the use of Complementary Alternative Medical (CAM) treatment options for infertility in women? [D.N.Sc.]. Ann Arbor: Columbia University; 2009.
11. Ghazeeri GS, Awwad JT, Alameddine M, Younes ZMH, Naja F. Prevalence and determinants of complementary and alternative medicine use among infertile patients in Lebanon: a cross sectional study. BMC Complement Altern Med 2012; 12: 129.
12. Read SC, Carrier ME, Whitley R, Gold I, Tulandi T, Zelkowitz P. Complementary and alternative medicine use in infertility: cultural and religious influences in a multicultural Canadian setting. J Altern Complement Med 2014; 20: 686-92.
13. Hwang JH, Kim YY, Im HB, Han D. Complementary and alternative medicine use among infertile women attending infertility specialty clinics in South Korea: does perceived severity matter? BMC Complement Altern Med 2019; 19: 301.
14. Erku DA. Complementary and Alternative Medicine Use and Its Association with Quality of Life among Cancer Patients Receiving Chemotherapy in Ethiopia: A Cross-Sectional Study. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2016; 2016: 2809875.
15. El‐Toukhy T, Sunkara SK, Khairy M, Dyer R, Khalaf Y, Coomarasamy A. A systematic review and meta‐analysis of acupuncture in in vitro fertilisation. BJOG 2008; 115: 1203-13.
16. Manheimer E, van der Windt D, Cheng K, Stafford K, Liu J, Tierney J, et al. The effects of acupuncture on rates of clinical pregnancy among women undergoing in vitro fertilization: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Hum Reprod Update 2013; 19: 696-713.
17. Xie ZY, Peng ZH, Yao B, Chen L, Mu YY, Chen J, et al. The effects of acupuncture on pregnancy outcomes of in vitro fertilization: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Complement Altern Med 2019; 19: 131.
18. Gu YE, Zhang X, Zhang Q, Dai MC, Wu Y, Zhou Y, et al. The effects of acupuncture on pregnancy outcomes of in vitro fertilization with embryo transfer: an interdisciplinary systematic review. J Gynecol Obstet Hum Reprod 2019; 48: 677-84.
19. Kaadaaga HF, Ajeani J, Ononge S, Alele PE, Nakasujja N, Manabe YC, et al. Prevalence and factors associated with use of herbal medicine among women attending an infertility clinic in Uganda. BMC Complement Altern Med 2014; 14: 27.
20. Oron G, Allnutt E, Lackman T, Sokal-Arnon T, Holzer H, Takefman J. A prospective study using Hatha Yoga for stress reduction among women waiting for IVF treatment. Reprod Biomed Online 2015; 30: 542-8.
21. Valoriani V, Lotti F, Vanni C, Noci MC, Fontanarosa N, Ferrari G, et al. Hatha-yoga as a psychological adjuvant for women undergoing IVF: a pilot study. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 2014; 176: 158-62.
22. Catoire P, Delaunay L, Dannappel T, Baracchini D, Marcadet-Fredet S, Moreau O, et al. Hypnosis versus diazepam for embryo transfer: a randomized controlled study. Am J Clin Hypn 2013; 55: 378-86.
23. de Souza MFA, Costa-e-Silva EV, Macedo GG, Soares BD, Zúccari CESN. The effect of individualized homeopathic treatment on the semen quality of bulls with reproductive disorders: a case series. Homeopathy 2012; 101: 243-5.
24. Smith JF, Eisenberg ML, Millstein SG, Nachtigall RD, Shindel AW, Wing H, et al. The use of complementary and alternative fertility treatment in couples seeking fertility care: data from a prospective cohort in the United States. Fertil Steril 2010; 93: 2169-74.
25. Edirne T, Arica SG, Gucuk S, Yildizhan R, Kolusari A, Adali E, et al. Use of complementary and alternative medicines by a sample of Turkish women for infertility enhancement: a descriptive study. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2010; 10: 11.
26. Farhud DD, Yeganeh MZ, Yeganeh MZ. Nutrigenomics and nutrigenetics. Iran J Public Health 2010; 39: 1-14.
27. Zhou X, Liu F, Zhai S. Effect of L-carnitine and/or L-acetyl-carnitine in nutrition treatment for male infertility: a systematic review. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 2007; 16: 383-90.
28. Bioos S, Nazem E, Keshavarz M, Siahpoosh MB, Sohrabvand F, Sohanaki H, et al. A traditional Iranian medicine (Majoon-e Loboob) for idiopathic male infertility: a case series. Traditional and Integrative Medicine 2015; 1: 47-51.
29. Ghazeeri GS, Awwad JT, Alameddine M, Younes ZMH, Naja F. Prevalence and determinants of complementary and alternative medicine use among infertile patients in Lebanon: a cross sectional study. BMC Complement Altern Med 2012; 12: 129.
30. Fata S, Tokat MA, Bagardi N, Yilmaz B. The traditional practices used by couples with fertility problems, affecting factors, expected benefits, and learning paths: The Turkey Sample. Niger J Clin Pract 2019; 22: 806-11.
31. Bardaweel SK, Shehadeh M, Suaifan GA RY, Kilani MVZ. Complementary and alternative medicine utilization by a sample of infertile couples in Jordan for infertility treatment: clinics-based survey. BMC Complement Altern Med 2013; 13: 35.
32. Dehghan M, Mokhtarabadi S, Heidari FG. Complementary and alternative medicine usage and its determinant factors among Iranian infertile couples. J Complement Integr Med 2018; 15.
33. Weiss DA, Harris CR, Smith JF. The use of complementary and alternative fertility treatments. Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol 2011; 23: 195-9.
34. Frawley J, Adams J, Sibbritt D, Steel A, Broom A, Gallois C. Prevalence and determinants of complementary and alternative medicine use during pregnancy: results from a nationally representative sample of Australian pregnant women. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol 2013; 53: 347-52.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.