Body Image and Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder Relationship in a Representative Sample of Iranian Women
Objective: Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder (HSDD) among women is a complicated one which is created by various factors playing roles. One of the potential concerns related to Body Image (BI) is lack of sexual appeal in women. Body Image is often described as what a person perceives of their body encompassing the biological, psychological and social factors. The present research pursues the goal to investigate the association between BI and HSDD among the reproductive age women in Iran.
Materials and methods: The current study is a cross-sectional (descriptive –analytical) research done on 1000 reproductive age included woman (15-49 years), performed by systematic random sampling method. The data collection tool includes the socio-demographics and the sexual desire scale in addition to the revised sexual distress scale to measure HSDD completed as self-report by the samples. Univariate and multivariate regression tests have been used in order to analyze the data.
Results: The mean ± SD age of the women participating in the study was 32.09 ± 7.33. Having adjusted the confounder variables' effect by logistic regression multivariate analysis; the odd ratio for HSDD has been analyzed. The findings suggested that the odd ratio for HSDD in those not satisfied or slightly feeling fulfilled with their BI has been OR: 4.2 (95% CI: 1.98-9.05) and OR: 3.9 (95% CI: 2.29-6.65), respectively, times more than the ones highly satisfied with their body image.
Conclusion: The present study results indicate that being dissatisfied with BI is a determinant factor of HSDD that is more probable in the people with negative image of their body structure and feeling lack of bodily appeal. Thus it is imperative to pay attention to this factor when analyzing HSDD.
2. Parish SJ, Hahn SR. Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder: A Review of Epidemiology, Biopsychology, Diagnosis, and Treatment. Sex Med Rev 2016:4: 103-20.
3. Simons JS, Carey MP. Prevalence of sexual dysfunctions: results from a decade of research. Arch Sex Behav 2001; 30: 177-219.
4. Lewis RW, Fugl‐Meyer KS, Bosch R, Fugl‐Meyer AR, Laumann EO, Lizza E, et al. Epidemiology/risk factors of sexual dysfunction. J Sex Med 2004; 1: 35-9.
5. Simon JA. Low sexual desire--is it all in her head? Pathophysiology, diagnosis, and treatment of hypoactive sexual desire disorder. Postgrad Med 2010; 122: 128-36.
6. Nasehi AA, Raisi F, Ghaeli P, Amini M, Yahyavi ST, Arabkheradmand J, et al. Prevalence of sexual dysfunction among general population of Iran: A systematic review. Iran J Psychiatry Behav Sci 2017; 11: e7643.
7. Dennerstein L, Koochaki P, Barton I, Graziottin A. Hypoactive sexual desire disorder in menopausal women: a survey of Western European women. J Sex Med 2006; 3: 212-22.
8. Abdo CH, Valadares AL, Oliveira WM Jr, Scanavino MT, Afif-Abdo J. Hypoactive sexual desire disorder in a population-based study of Brazilian women: associated factors classified according to their importance. Menopause 2010; 17: 1114-21.
9. Muth JL, Cash TF. Body Image Attitudes: What Difference Does Gender Make? Journal of Applied Social Psychology 1997; 27: 1438-52.
10. Cash TF, Fleming EC, Alindogan J, Steadman L, Whitehead A. Beyond body image as a trait: The development and validation of the Body Image States Scale. Eat Disord 2002; 10: 103-13.
11. Cash TF, Fleming EC. The impact of body image experiences: development of the body image quality of life inventory. Int J Eat Disord 2002; 31: 455-60.
12. Pujols Y, Seal BN, Meston CM . The association between sexual satisfaction and body image in women. J Sex Med 2010; 7: 905-16.
13. Levine MP, Piran N. The role of body image in the prevention of eating disorders. Body image 2004; 1: 57-70.
14. McClintock EA. Handsome wants as handsome does: Physical attractiveness and gender differences in revealed sexual preferences. Biodemography Soc Biol 2011; 57: 221-57.
15. Cash TF, Maikkula CL, Yamamiya Y. Baring the body
in the bedroom”: Body image, sexual self-schemas, and sexual functioning among college women and men. Electronic Journal of Human Sexuality 2004; 7: 1-9.
16. Woertman L, Van den Brink F. Body image and female sexual functioning and behavior: a review. J Sex Res 2012; 49: 184-211.
17. Seal BN, Bradford A, Meston CM. The association between body esteem and sexual desire among college women. Arch Sex Behav 2009; 38: 866-72.
18. 18. Maserejian NN, Shifren JL, Parish SJ, Braunstein GD, Gerstenberger EP, Rosen RC. The presentation of hypoactive sexual desire disorder in premenopausal women. J Sex Med 2010; 7: 3439-48.
19. Carvalho J, Nobre P. Predictors of Women's Sexual Desire: The Role of Psychopathology, Cognitive‐Emotional Determinants, Relationship Dimensions, and Medical Factors. J Sex Med 2010; 7: 928-37.
20. Safarinejad MR. Female sexual dysfunction in a population-based study in Iran: prevalence and associated risk factors. Int J Impot Res 2006; 18: 382-95.
21. Clayton AH, Goldmeier D, Nappi RE, Wunderlich G, Lewis‐D'Agostino DJ, Pyke R. Validation of the Sexual Interest and Desire Inventory‐Female in Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder. J Sex Med 2010; 7: 3918-28.
22. Nezhad MZ, Goodarzi AM. Sexuality, intimacy, and marital satisfaction in Iranian first-time parents. J Sex Marital Ther 2011; 37: 77-88.
23. Malary M, Pourasghar M, Khani S, Moosazadeh M, Hamzehgardeshi Z. Psychometric properties of the sexual interest and desire inventory-female for diagnosis of hypoactive sexual desire disorder: the Persian version. Iran J Psychiatry 2016; 11: 262-8.
24. Azimi Nekoo E, Burri A, Ashrafti F, Fridlund B, Koenig HG, Derogatis LR, et al. Psychometric Properties of the Iranian Version of the Female Sexual Distress Scale‐Revised in Women. J Sex Med 2014; 11: 995-1004.
25. Terimourpour N, Bidokhti NM, Pourshahbaz A. The Relationship between attachment styles and sexual desire among Iranian women. Procedia Soc Behav Sci 2011; 30: 108-12.
26. McCabe MP, Goldhammer DL. Demographic and psychological factors related to sexual desire among heterosexual women in a relationship. J Sex Res 2012; 49: 78-87.
27. vis NE, Zhao X, Johannes CB, Ory MG, Brockwell S, Greendale GA. Correlates of sexual function among multi-ethnic middle-aged women: results from the Study of Women's Health Across the Nation (SWAN). Menopause 2005; 25: 1244-55.
28. Klusmann D. Sexual motivation and the duration of partnership. Arch Sex Behav 2002; 31: 275-87.
29. Corona G, Petrone L, Mannucci E, Ricca V, Balercia G, Giommi R, et al. The impotent couple: low desire. Int J Androl 2005; 28Suppl 2: 46-52.
30. Murray SH, Milhausen RR. Sexual desire and relationship duration in young men and women. J Sex Marital Ther 2012; 38: 28-40.
31. Pfaus JG. Reviews: Pathways of sexual desire.
J Sex Med 2009; 6: 1506-33.
32. Kim H. Sexual desire, sexual function, and quality of life in married women with hypoactive sexual desire disorder. Korean J Health Educ Promot 2013; 30: 163-75.
33. McInnes RA. Chronic illness and sexuality. Med J Aust 2003; 179: 263-6.
34. Brotto LA, Bitzer J, Laan E, Leiblum S, Luria M. Women's sexual desire and arousal disorders. J Sex Med 2010; 7: 586-614.
35. Ojomu F, Thacher T, Obadofin M. Sexual problems among married Nigerian women. Int J Impot Res 2007; 19: 310-6.
36. Camacho M, Reyes-Ortiz CA. Sexual dysfunction in the elderly: age or disease? Int J Impot Res 2005; 17: S52-6.
37. Kingsberg SA, Woodard T. Female sexual dysfunction: focus on low desire. Obstet Gynecol 2015; 125: 477-86.
38. Kingsberg SA. Attitudinal survey of women living with
low sexual desire. J Womens Health(Larchmt) 2014; 23: 817-23.
39. Koch PB, Mansfield PK, Thurau D, Carey M. “Feeling frumpy”: The relationships between body image and sexual response changes in midlife women. J Sex Res 2005; 42: 215-23.
40. Wiederman MW. Women's body image self‐consciousness during physical intimacy with a partner. J Sex Res 2000; 37: 60-8.
41. Ackard DM, Kearney‐Cooke A, Peterson CB. Effect of body image and self‐image on women's sexual behaviors. Int J Eat Disord 2000; 28: 422-9.
42. Hoyt WD, Kogan LR. Satisfaction with body image and peer relationships for males and females in a college environment. Sex roles 2001; 45: 199-215.
43. La Rocque CL, Cioe J. An evaluation of the relationship between body image and sexual avoidance. J Sex Res 2011; 48: 397-408.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.