Quality of Work Life in Family Physicians of Bam, Iran
AbstractObjective: Quality of work life is one of the most important variables recently considered by many managers who seek to improve the quality of their human resources. Considering the vital factor of job satisfaction of family physicians as a service provider, this study was conducted to evaluate the quality of working life of family physicians in Bam.Materials and methods: This research is a cross-sectional and descriptive type. Research population includes all family physicians working at health centers in Bam. The Van Larr Quality of Work Life Questionnaire, which was validated by Nekoei Moghadam, was used. The questionnaire data is analyzed by SPSS 24 from statistical-descriptive tests (mean and standard deviation) and T-test and ANOVA.Results: Quality of work life score in family physicians is obtained 2.93 out of 5. Control ambiance in work (CAW) has the highest mean (3.16) and Work-life balance (WLB) has the lowest mean (2.29). Work experience has a meaningful relationship just with the two components of WLB and SAW in Quality of work life (p = 0.036). Furthermore, in the factor of GWB, the average score of unmarried physicians (Mean = 3.18) were more than the married ones (Mean = 3.05) (p = 0.010). The mean score of unmarried physicians was more than the married ones.Conclusion: The quality of work life from the family physicians is about upper-intermediate. Thus, authorities of the family physician concept in the ministry of Health, and also in the Bam city should pay more attention to the family physician’s work life and consider programs and solutions in order to improve it.
2. Motlagh ME, Nasrollahpour Shirvani SD, Ashrafian Amiri H, Kabir MJ, Shabestani Monfared A, Nahvijoy A. Satisfaction of Family Physicians (FPs) about Effective Factors on Activation of FP Program in Medical Universities. Journal of Guilan University of Medical Sciences 2011;19: 48-55. [In persian]
3. Krueger P, Brazil K, Lohfeld L, Edward HG, Lewis D, Tjam E. Organization specific predictors of job satisfaction: findings from a Canadian multi-site quality of work life cross-sectional survey. BMC Health Serv Res 2002; 2: 6.
4. Amiri M, Raei M, Chaman R, Nasiri E. Family physician: The mutual satisfaction of physicians and health care team members . Razi Journal of Medical Sciences 2012; 18: 23-30. [In persian]
5. Nekoei Moghadam M, GHorbani Nia R, Kamyabi A, Behzadi F, Mehrabian M. Assessment of the family physicians quality of working life in Kerman province 2010. Journal of Medical Council of Iran 2015; 33: 101-9. [In persian]
6. Shabaninejad H, Arab M, Rashidian A, Zeraati H, Bahrami S. Quality of Working Life of Family Physicians in Mazandaran. Hakim Research Journal 2012; 15: 178-84. [In persian]
7. Aziz RA, Nadzar FM, Husaini H, Maarof A, Radzi SM, Ismail I. Quality of work life of librarians in government academic libraries in the Klang Valley, Malaysia. International Information & Library Review 2011; 43: 149-58.
8. Abdollahzade F, Asghari E, Asghari Jafarabadi M, Mohammadi F, Rohani A, Mardani-Kivi M. Predictive factors of quality of work life among operating room nurses in training hospitals. jour guilan uni med sci.2016; 25: 57-68. [In persian]
9. Kanten S, Sadullah O. An empirical research on relationship quality of work life and work engagement. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences 2012; 62: 360-6.
10. Kalami M, Omranzadeh E, Sharifi SR, Sharifi SS. Surveying the Mutual Relationship between Productivity and the Quality of Work Life in Human Resources (Case study: Sewage System of Maragheh). Productivity management (beyond management) 2012; 6: 195-214. [In persian]
11. Hafezi Z, Asqari R, Momayezi M. Monitoring Performance of Family Physicians in Yazd. TOLOO-E-BEHDASHT 2009; 8: 16-26. [In persian]
12. Shadpour K. Health sector reform in Islamic Republic of Iran. The Journal of Qazvin University of Medical Sciences 2006; 10: 7-20. [In persian]
13. Chaman R, Amiri M, Raei M, Alinejad M, Nasrollahpour Shirvani SD. National Family Physician Program in Shahroud: Assessing Quality of Implementation and Condition of Settings. Hakim Research Journal 2011; 14: 123-9. [In persian]
14. Ashrafian Amiri H, Mikaniki E, Nasrollahpour Shirvani S, Kabir M, Jafari N, Mirzaee M, et al. Process, Tools, and the Results of Seasonal Monitoring of Family Physicians′ Performance in Health Network of Northern Provinces in Iran. Journal of Health 2016; 7: 458-66. [In persian]
15. Jannati A, Maleki MR, Gholizade M, Narimani MR, Vakeli S. Assessing the Strengths & Weaknesses of Family Physician Program. Knowledge & Health 2010; 4: 38-43. [In persian]
16. Chaman R, Amiri M, Raei Dehaghi M. The national family physician and the quality of referral system. Payesh 2012; 6: 785-90. [In persian]
17. de Oliveira Vasconcelos Filho P, de Souza MR, Elias PE, D'Ávila Viana AL. Physicians’ job satisfaction and motivation in a public academic hospital. Hum Resour Health 2016; 14: 75.
18. Sedighi S, Amini M, Porreza A. Assessment on cuases of physicians abdication from rural family physician plan in 2012. journal of healthcare management (journal of health system) 2015; 5: 33-43. [In persian]
19. Sibbald B, Bojke C, Gravelle H. National survey of job satisfaction and retirement intentions among general practitioners in England. BMJ 2003;326:22.
20. DeVoe J, Fryer Jr GE, Hargraves JL, Phillips RL, Green LA. Does career dissatisfaction affect the ability of family physicians to deliver high-quality patient care? J Fam Pract 2002; 51: 223-8.
21. Torabian S, Cheraghi MA, Azarhomayoon A. Family physician program: physicians' satisfactions in Hamadan, Iran. Payesh 2013; 12: 289-96. [In persian]
22. Van Laar D, Edwards JA, Easton S. The Work‐Related Quality of Life scale for healthcare workers. J Adv Nurs 2007; 60: 325-33.
23. Oswald A. Are you happy at work? Job satisfaction and work-life balance in the US and Europe. Paper presented at the WBS event, New York, 2002.
24. Arab M, Shabaninejad H, Rashidian A, Rahimi A, Purketabi K. A survey on working life quality of specialists working in affiliated hospitals of TUMS. Journal of Hospital 2013; 11: 19-24.
25. Eker L, Tüzün EH, Daskapan A, Sürenkök Ö. Predictors of job satisfaction among physiotherapists in Turkey. J Occup Health 2004; 46: 500-5.
26. Dehghannyieri N, Salehi T, Asadinoghabi AA. Assessing the quality of work life, productivity of nurses and their relationship. Iranian Journal of Nursing Research 2008; 3: 27-37.
Copyright (c) 2020 Journal of Family and Reproductive Health
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.