Adnexal Torsion After Isolated Salpingeal Torsion: an Undesired Complication of Conservative Management-A Case Report
AbstractObjective: Isolated salpingeal torsion (IST) is a rare cause of acute abdomen in women of thereproductive age group. The lack of pathognomonic clinical, laboratory or radiographic findings makesearly diagnosis a challenge. We describe a case of IST in a 13-year-old who suffered from a repeattorsion following initial conservative management.Case Report: A 13-year-old girl presented with acute right lower quadrant abdominal pain of insidiousonset. Her past medical history was non-contributory and her initial workup was unremarkable.Exploratory laparoscopy subsequently revealed isolated torsion of the right fallopian tube which wasdetorted. She presented 10 months later with similar complaints and further workup demonstrated rightadnexal torsion which was confirmed by laparoscopy; salpingo-oophorectomy was necessary due togangrenous necrosis.Conclusion: Conservative management of fallopian tube torsion confers the advantage of fertilitypreservation but the risk of repeat torsion remains clinically significant.
2. Harmon JC, Binkovitz LA, Binkovitz LE. Isolated fallopian tube torsion: sonographic and CT features. Pediatr Radiol 2008; 38: 175-9.
3. Lo GC, Kadoch MA, Simpson W Jr. Isolated fallopian tube torsion: two case reports of a rare entity. Clin Imaging 2016; 40:1004-8.
4. Casey RK, Damle LF, Gomez-Lobo V. Isolated fallopian tube torsion in pediatric and adolescent females: a retrospective review of 15 cases at a
single institution. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 2013; 26: 189-92.
5. Bertozzi M, Magrini E, Riccioni S, Giovenali P, Appignani A. Isolated fallopian tube torsion with hydrosalpinx: Review of a debated management in a pediatric population. J Pediatr Surg 2017; 52: 1553-60.
6. Orazi C, Inserra A, Lucchetti MC, Schingo PM. Isolated tubal torsion: a rare cause of pelvic pain at menarche. Sonographic and MR findings. Pediatr Radiol 2006; 36: 1316-8.
7. van der Zanden M, Nap A, van Kints M. Isolated torsion of the fallopian tube: a case report and review of the literature. Eur J Pediatr 2011; 170: 1329-32.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.