Resveratrol Attenuates Malathion Induced Damage in Some Reproductive Parameters by Decreasing Oxidative Stress and Lipid Peroxidation in Male Rats
Objective: Malathion is the most organophosphates which capable to produce free radicals and induce disturbance on some of male reproductive parameter. Resveratrol is an herbal polyphenol and it has been beneficial antioxidant effects during short-term administration. This study was designed to evaluate the effects of Resveratrol against damage induced by Malathion to the reproductive parameter of male rats.
Materials and methods: In this experimental study, 48 male rats were randomly assigned to 8 groups: normal control (saline) and Malathion control (250 mg/kg) groups; Resveratrol groups (2, 8, 20 mg/kg) and Malathion + Resveratrol (2, 8, 20 mg/kg). Treatments were administered intraperitoneally and gavage daily for 65 days. The sperm parameters, testis malondialdehyde (MDA), total antioxidant capacity (TAC), testosterone level and germinal layer height were evaluated and statistically analyzed.
Results: The results displayed that the values of all parameters except MDA level (which increased) reduced significantly in the Malathion control group compared to the normal control group (p < 0.001). The Resveratrol and Resveratrol + Malathion treatments at all doses increased significantly all parameters except MDA level (which decreased) compared to the Malathion control group (p < 0.001). No significant modifications were observed in all Resveratrol groups compared to the normal control group (p > 0.05).
Conclusion: Resveratrol attenuates toxic effect of Malathion on some of male reproductive parameters.
2. Swan SH, Kruse RL, Liu F, Barr DB, Drobnis EZ, Redmon JB, et al. Semen quality in relation to biomarkers of pesticide exposure. Environ Health Perspect 2003; 111:1478-84.
3. Guimarães AT, de Oliveira Ferreira R, de Souza JM, da Costa Estrela D, Talvani A, Souza DM, et al. Evaluating the reproductive toxicology of tannery effluent in male SWISS mice. Sci Total Environ 2019; 648:1440-52.
4. Madzorera T, Sibanda M, Focke W, Madito M, Manyala N. Malathion-filled trilayer polyolefin film for malaria vector control. Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl 2019;96:419-25.
5. Selmi S, Rtibi K, Grami D, Sebai H, Marzouki L. Lavandula stoechas essential oils protect against Malathion-induces reproductive disruptions in male mice. Lipids Health Dis 2018; 17:253.
6. Fortunato JJ, Feier G, Vitali AM, Petronilho FC, Dal-Pizzol F, Quevedo J. Malathion-induced oxidative stress in rat brain regions. Neurochem Res 2006; 31:671-8.
7. Salahshoor MR, Jalili C, Khazaei M, Khani F. Effects of Curcumin on Reproductive Parameters in Male Mice, J Clin Res Paramed Sci 2012; 1: e82189.
8. Hariri AT, Moallem SA, Mahmoudi M, Hosseinzadeh H. The effect of crocin and safranal, constituents of saffron, against subacute effect of diazinon on hematological and genotoxicity indices in rats. Phytomedicine 2011; 18:499-504.
9. Valdiglesias V, Pásaro E, Méndez J, Laffon B. In vitro evaluation of selenium genotoxic, cytotoxic, and protective effects: a review. Arch Toxicol 2010; 84:337-51.
10. Altuntas I, Kilinc I, Orhan H, Demirel R, Koylu H, Delibas N. The effects of diazinon on lipid peroxidation and antioxidant enzymes in erythrocytes in vitro. Hum Exp Toxicol 2004; 23:9-13.
11. Sánchez-Peña L, Reyes B, López-Carrillo L, Recio R, Morán-Martínez J, Cebrián M, et al. Organophosphorous pesticide exposure alters sperm chromatin structure in Mexican agricultural workers. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 2004; 196:108-13.
12. Evenson D, Jost L. Sperm chromatin structure assay for fertility assessment. Curr Protoc Cytom 2001; 7: 13.
13. Jalili C, Salahshoor MR, Jalili F, Kakaberaei S, Akrami A, Sohrabi M, et al Therapeutic effect of resveratrol on morphine-induced damage in male reproductive system of mice by reducing nitric oxide serum level. Int J Morphol 2017; 35:1342-7.
14. Jalili C, Makalani F, Roshankhah S, Sohrabi K, Salahshoor MR. Protective effect of resveratrol against morphine damage to kidneys of mice. Int J Morphol 2017; 35:1409-15.
15. Subbaramaiah K, Michaluart P, Telang N, Tanabe T, Inoue H, Jang M, et al. Resveratrol inhibits cyclooxygenase-2 transcription and activity in phorbol ester-treated human mammary epithelial cells. J Biol Chem 1998; 273:21875-82.
16. Udenigwe CC, Ramprasath VR, Aluko RE, Jones PJ. Potential of resveratrol in anticancer and anti-inflammatory therapy. Nutr Rev 2008; 66:445-54.
17. Cucciolla V, Borriello A, Oliva A, Galletti P, Zappia V, Della Ragione F. Resveratrol: from basic science to the clinic. Cell Cycle 2007; 6: 2495-510.
18. Jalili C, Kamani M, Roshankhah S, Sadeghi H, Salahshoor MR. Effect of Falcaria vulgaris extracts on sperm parameters in diabetic rats. Andrologia 2018; e13130.
19. Choudhary N, Goyal R, Joshi SC. Effect of malathion on reproductive system of male rats. J Environ Biol. 2008; 29:259-62.
20. Salahshoor MR, Haghjoo M, Roshankhah S, Makalani F, Jalili C. Effect of Thymoquinone on Reproductive Parameter in Morphine-treated Male Mice. Adv Biomed Res 2018; 7:18.
21. Badehnoosh B, Karamali M, Zarrati M, Jamilian M, Bahmani F, Tajabadi-Ebrahimi M, et al The effects of probiotic supplementation on biomarkers of inflammation, oxidative stress and pregnancy outcomes in gestational diabetes. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2018; 31:1128-36.
22. CN RK, Nayak GH, Biradar SS. Trends of Death Due to Poisoning among Females at a Tertiary Care Centre in North Karnataka. Indian Journal of Forensic Medicine & Toxicology 2019; 13:67-71.
23. Mruk DD, Cheng CY. Environmental contaminants: Is male reproductive health at risk? Spermatogenesis 2011; 1:283-90.
24. Collodel G, Federico M, Geminiani M, Martini S, Bonechi C, Rossi C, et al. Effect of trans-resveratrol on induced oxidative stress in human sperm and in rat germinal cells. Reprod Toxicol 2011; 31:239-46.
25. Arabi M. Nicotinic infertility: assessing DNA and plasma membrane integrity of human spermatozoa. Andrologia 2004; 36:305-10.
26. Zadkhosh N, Heidari Shayesteh T, Ghafori Khorsandi A, Mosavi L, Mehri N, Felegari H, et al. Protective role of green tea on malathion-induced testicular oxidative damage in rats. Asian Pac J Reprod 2016; 5:42-5.
27. Aitken RJ, Curry BJ. Redox regulation of human sperm function: from the physiological control of sperm capacitation to the etiology of infertility and DNA damage in the germ line. Antioxid Redox Signal 2011; 14:367-81.
28. Valko M, Morris H, Cronin MT. Metals, toxicity and oxidative stress. Curr Med Chem 2005; 12:1161-208.
29. Roshankhah SH, Salahshoor MR, Aryanfar S, Jalili F, Sohrabi M, Jalili C. Effects of curcumin on sperm parameters abnormalities induced by morphine in rat. J Med Biomed Sci 2017; 6:1-0.
30. Lee JH, Song MY, Song EK, Kim EK, Moon WS, Han MK, et al. Overexpression of SIRT1 protects pancreatic beta-cells against cytokine toxicity by suppressing the nuclear factor-kappaB signaling pathway. Diabetes 2009; 58:344-51.
31. Revel A, Raanani H, Younglai E, Xu J, Han R, Savouret JF, et al. Resveratrol, a natural aryl hydrocarbon receptor antagonist, protects sperm from DNA damage and apoptosis caused by benzo (a) pyrene. Reprod Toxicol 2001; 15:479-86.
32. Ikeda K, Saito T, Tojo K. Efonidipine, a Ca (2+)-channel blocker, enhances the production of dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate in NCI-H295R human adrenocortical carcinoma cells. Tohoku J Exp Med 2011; 224:263-71.
33. Maliji Gh,Joursaraei S.GH.A, Zabihi E, Fattahi E, Rezaie E, Sohan Faraji A. Diazinon alters sex hormones, Interferon-gamma, Interleukin-4 and 10 in male Wistar rats. Journal of Gorgan University of Medical Sciences 2014; 16:22-8.
34. Selvage DJ, Rivier C . Importance of the paraventricular nucleus of the hypothalamus as a component of a neural pathway between the brain and the testes that modulates testosterone secretion independently of the pituitary. Endocrinology 2003; 144:594-8.
35. Mojica-Villegas MA, Izquierdo-Vega JA, Chamorro-Cevallos G, Sánchez-Gutiérrez M. Protective effect of resveratrol on biomarkers of oxidative stress induced by iron/ascorbate in mouse spermatozoa. Nutrients 2014; 6:489-503.
36. Huang F, Ning H, Xin QQ, Huang Y, Wang H, Zhang ZH, et al. Melatonin pretreatment attenuates-2 bromopropane-induced testicular toxicity in rats. Toxicology 2009; 256:75-82.
37. Erthal RP, Siervo GE, Silveira LTR, Scarano WR, Fernandes GSA. Can resveratrol attenuate testicular damage in neonatal and adult rats exposed to 2, 3, 7, 8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin during gestation?. Reprod Fertil Dev 2018; 30:442-50.
|Issue||Vol 13, No 2 (June 2019)|
|Resveratrol Reproductive Parameters Malathion Oxidative Stress Lipid Peroxidation|
|Rights and permissions|
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.|