The Effect of Sitz Bath of Hydro-Alcoholic Extract of Myrrh Gum on Episiotomy Wound Healing in Nulliparous Women
AbstractObjective: To investigate the effect of sitz bath of hydro-alcohol extract of myrrh plant on episiotomy wound healing.Materials and methods: the clinical trial was performed on 60 nulliparous women from July 2017 to December 2017. After episiotomy, the intervention and control groups respectively underwent sitz bath of myrrh gum and normal saline for 7 days. Data collection was REEDA scale.Results: Significant difference between the mean score of redness, proximity of wound edges to each other and REEDA scale in both groups on the third, seventh and tenth days after delivery (p < 0.05). There was a significant difference between mean scores of bruise on the 10th day and wound discharge on the 7th and 10th days. The mean scores of bruise were not significantly different between the two groups (p > 0.05).Conclusion: The effect of this myrrh plant on episiotomy wound healing is greater and faster than the effect of usual cares.
2. Lam KW, Wong HS, Pun TC. The Practice of Episiotomy in Public Hospitals in Hong Kong. Hong Kong Med J 2006; 12:94-8.
3. Karaçam Z, Ekmen H, Calişır H, Seker S. Prevalence of episiotomy in primiparas, related conditions, and effects of episiotomy on suturematerials used, perineal pain, wound healing 3 weeks postpartum, in Turkey: A prospective follow-up study. Iran J Nurs Midwifery Res 2013;18: 237-45.
4. Cavanagh HM, Wilkinson JM. Biological Activities of Lavender Essential Oil. Phytother Res 2002; 16:301-8.
5. Kohli K, Ali J, Ansari MJ, Raheman Z. Curcumin: A Natural Antiinflammatory Agent. Indian Journal of Pharmacology 2005; 37: 141-7.
6. Albers LL, Borders N. Minimizing genital tract trauma and related pain following spontaneous vaginal birth. J Midwifery Womens Health 2007; 52:246-53.
7. Behmanesh F, Aghamohammadi A, Zeinalzadeh M, Khafri S. Effects of olive oil sitz bath on improvement of perineal injury after delivery. koomesh 2013; 14:309-15.
8. Karaçam Z, Eroğlu K. Effects of Episiotomy on Bonding and Mothers’ Health. Journal Of Advanced Nursing 2003;43:384-94.
9. ArdeshiriLagimi AAR, Barzegar M, Rezaei-Tavirani M, Hashemi M, Heidari-Kashal S, Moghaddamnia S, et al. Effects of Scrophulariastriata extract on human fibroblast cells. Medical Sciences Journal of Islamic Azad University 2009; 19: 168-172.
10. AlbishriJ. The efficacy of MYRRH in oral ulcer in patients with Behcet's Disease. American Journal of Research Communication 2017; 5: 23-8.
11. Abbasizadeh Z, Kesmati M, Galehdari H, Rezaie A, Seyednezhad M. Effect Of Topical Application Of An Herbal Complex On The Wound Healing Process In Diabetic Rats. Iranian Journal of Diabetes and Lipid Disorders 2015; 14:406-17.
12. Stevenson PC, Simmonds MS, Sampson J, Houghton PJ, Grice P. Wound healing activity of acylatediridoid glycosides from Scrophularianodosa. Phytother Res 2002; 16:33-5.
13. Alzahrani HA, Bakhotmah BA, Boukraâ L. In Vitro Susceptibility of Diabetic Wound Bacterio to Mixtures of Honey, Commiphoramolmolan Nigella sativa. The Open Nutraceuticals Journal 2011; 4: 172-5.
14. Alizadeh R, Abedi GHR, Ashrafi J, Mansoori K. Evaluation of nerve regeneration of Commiphoramyrrha extract on experimental sciatic nerve injury in rabbit. Journal of Comparative Pathobiology Iran 2017;14:2217-27.
15. Vakilian K, Atarha M, Bekhradi R, Ghebleh F, Hatami Z, Ceraj A.The effect of lavender in care of postpartum episiotomy wounds. J Shahrekord Univ Med Sci 2008; 10:63-9.
16. Haffor AS. Effect of myrrh (Commiphoramolmol) on leukocyte levels before and during healing from gastric ulcer or skin injury. J Immunotoxicol. 2010; 7:68-75.
17. Al-Mobeeriek A. Effects of myrrh on intra-oral mucosal wounds compared with tetracycline- and chlorhexidine-based mouthwashes. Clin Cosmet Investig Dent 2011; 3: 53–8.
18. Impellizzeri D, Esposito E, Mazzon E, Paterniti I, Di Paola R, Bramanti P, et al. The effects of oleuropeinaglycone, an olive oil compound, in a mouse model of carrageenan-induced pleurisy. Clin Nutr 2011; 30: 533-40.
19. Sharifi N, HatamiManesh Z, NaharSH,Rezaei N, Namjouyan F, Momenian S. Effect of Scrophulariastriata plant on episiotomy wound healing in primiparous women. The Iranian Journal of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Infertility 2017; 20:56-60.
20. Shen T, Li GH, Wang XN, Lou HX. The genus Commiphora: A review of its traditional uses, phytochemistry and pharmacology. J Ethnopharmacol 2012; 142:319-30.
21. Ghnnam WM, Ali-Alqarni A, Al-Shahrani SM. Myrrh as a Cause of Surgical Site Infection: 8 Years Prospective Observational Study. IJSS Journal of Surgery 2016; 2:5-9.
22. Yadeghar O, Asghari A, Hesaraki S. Evaluation of wound healing activity of Commiphoramyrrha extract compared with silver sulfadiazine on experimental skin burn healing in rat. Veterinary Clinical Pathology2013; 7:173-82.
23. Houghton P, Raman A. Laboratory Handbook For The Fractionation Of Natural Extracts London: Chapman & Hall; 1998: 27-8.
24. Ben‐Yehoshua SH, Borowitz C, Hanuš LO. Frankincense, myrrh, and balm of Gilead: ancient spices of Southern Arabia and Judea. Horticultural Reviews 2012; 39:1-76.
25. Massoud AM, Shalaby HA, El Khateeb RM, Mahmoud MS, Kutkat MA. Effects of Mirazid® and myrrh volatile oil on adult Fasciolagigantica under laboratory conditions. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2012; 2:875-84.
26. Su S1, Wang T, Duan JA, Zhou W, Hua YQ, Tang YP, et al. Anti-inflammatory and analgesic activity of different extracts of Commiphoramyrrha. J Ethnopharmacol2011; 134:251-8.
27. Helal EG, Mahmooud A, EL-badawy EE, Kahwash AA. Effect of Commiphoramyrrha extract on some physiological parameters and histological changes in diabetic albino rats. The Egyptian Journal of Hospital Medicine 2005; 20: 148-62.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.